Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
P0882 and jeep wont start
09-05-2016, 02:19 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-05-2016, 04:56 PM by jboth.)
P0882 and jeep wont start
Hi,

Received a hot oil message today after a cold start. Was able to limp the jeep back home while intermittently receiving the hot oil message and it not starting. Pulled code P0882.

I followed this post with no luck:
http://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-...de-313304/

The hot oil message since disappeared however the battery,espbas,traction control,and engine lights are all on and the engine wont start. Battery has 12.4V and was disconnected several times. Any ideas?

Thanks
Jason
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-05-2016, 05:56 PM,
RE: P0882 and jeep wont start
Found some posts about other people moving the transmission shifter into different positions so I tried that and it worked. Jeep started dash lights cleared, hot oil message cleared as well as the pcm code p0882. Drove it up and down the driveway in all trans positions with no problems. I then shut it down and attempted to remote start it with my compustar remote and it would not start. Looked in the window and found all the dash lights going crazy and the hot oil message flashing.

I then attempted the transmission shifter trick again but wasn't able to fix it. Will try again later or tomorrow.
09-05-2016, 07:49 PM,
Well that sounds interesting. Good luck with that.........
1989 YJ on 42’s for playing, 2005 LJ Rubicon for family wheeling, 20xx Ultra 4 buggy for dreaming and leaning on.
09-06-2016, 11:38 AM,
Yikes! I haven't seen that one before. Let us know how you make out please.
Soccer Mom's-'12 Sliver Rubi Unlimited on 35 w/ 3" Zone, Bumper'n'winch and LEDs
Old trial rig-('06 Rubicon, long arm, 39.5" Iroks, RCV's front-alloy rears and a 6hp Warn 8274) -  sold to a good friend  Big Grin
New trail rig - '06 Taco Crew, bobbed, locked, on 37"
YouTube Winch Challenge Addict Loony
09-06-2016, 09:33 PM,
No luck yet.

Jeep sat overnight. Went to start it and it started no problem,no flashing lights,no hot oil message flashing,no codes. After about 20s the same dash lights came on and the hot oil message was flashing and the engine shutdown.

I found this TSB(my jeep is a 2007):08-007-08
http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-tsb-recall...wcm-skreem

According to the TSB if the WCM is the problem the factory key lock/unlock buttons will not work. Mine still work during this issue as well as my power windows,all lights,fog lights,radio,etc. Also tried pulling the IOD fuse but this didn't help.

I tried the trans shifter trick again, even tried pushing on it further while in park which some have had success doing but this didn't work for me. I then released the tilt steering lock so the steering wheel was free to move up and down and then tried to start it and it started and dash lights went off and no codes and my android odb2 torque app could communicate to the pcm.

After about 20s the engine shutdown and battery,espbas,traction control,and engine lights were on,hot oil was displayed where the odometer reading normally is and audible dinging. Also the PRND21 characters were all enclosed with individual borders. After a few minutes of messing around with the ignition and trans shifter position the audible dinging disappeared, the PRND21 characters all disappeared, hot oil message disappeared and the lights mentioned above were still all on. The rad fan turned on at one point. As soon as the engine shut down my android odb2 torque app loses communications with the pcm.

Really confused, going to see if I can possibly get a hold of a Jeep Dealer Mechanic for any ideas. If anyone here has any ideas please let me know, I will try anything at this point.
Thanks
Jason
09-06-2016, 11:15 PM,
Wonder if the connection to trans wiring is corroded or a bad connection, also check all the ground for damaged or dirty connections
"Success is to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"    Winston Churchill
09-08-2016, 06:59 PM,
Sounds like a commication Bus issue, fautly module or poor connection could very likely be the issue. Where to start looking, anywhere and every where the simplest problem could cause you a mountain of headaches.

And for the people who are reading this forum that are not familiar with your jeep it might be useful to also mention any major modifications that are directly effected by you issue. The electrical components used in you 6.4 hemi swap could cause the issues that you are encountering.
09-09-2016, 02:34 PM,
Thanks for the suggestions. Since Wednesday its been starting up with the compustar remote and keyfob without any problems. I just drove it back and forth on my driveway a few times since Wednesday without any issues. Im thinking it may have something to do with when I washed it on sunday. I always spray down the engine, this time a bit longer than usual but have never had problems before and have done this with all my jeeps since about 2004.

Im going to take it for a longer test drive tomorrow and will post up how it goes.

Thanks
Jason
09-09-2016, 02:54 PM,
I'm really not sure why telling people your Jeep has a 6.4 Hemi would make a difference???!!

Pirate
1989 YJ on 42’s for playing, 2005 LJ Rubicon for family wheeling, 20xx Ultra 4 buggy for dreaming and leaning on.
09-09-2016, 05:52 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-09-2016, 05:55 PM by dbusse1992.)
Different modules required to run a 6.4 as apposed to the 3.8.

Based on the fact that it runs with out issue now i would highly suspect you have a connector under the hood that is not sealed properly and water is shorting out the communication circuits.
09-09-2016, 07:50 PM,
Jokes Doug, jokes.......
09-10-2016, 07:48 PM,
Drove the jeep today and all is good. im guessing some water got into a connector somewhere. thinking of putting some dielectric grease into the connectors then brushing with liquid electrical tape. really dont want this happening again as i was out a vehicle for the week and had to buy some new underpants lol
09-10-2016, 08:14 PM,
Grease should be good enough. That was GM's fix for my Dads brand new 2009 Duramax. I wouldn't want to gum up the connections with liquid tape.
09-11-2016, 05:08 AM,
High pressure water does some bad things, low pressure too. With all the rain we've had this year the company '15 & '16 chevy 1/2 tons are having lots of transmission and transfer case wiring issue as the water makes them do crazy things, one even shifted in to low range while at highway speed. Guess how that turned out.
My '15 F150 has been good though... Knock on wood. Big Grin
Soccer Mom's-'12 Sliver Rubi Unlimited on 35 w/ 3" Zone, Bumper'n'winch and LEDs
Old trial rig-('06 Rubicon, long arm, 39.5" Iroks, RCV's front-alloy rears and a 6hp Warn 8274) -  sold to a good friend  Big Grin
New trail rig - '06 Taco Crew, bobbed, locked, on 37"
YouTube Winch Challenge Addict Loony
09-11-2016, 11:41 PM,
That's what my Pa had with his GM. Not sure why Jason is having issues with his Chrysler product. Maybe cheeped out and use some GM connectors????
Just kidding Jason, that sure is a sweet rig you have there.
09-12-2016, 10:42 AM,
(09-11-2016, 11:41 PM)Sheldon Wrote: That's what my Pa had with his GM. Not sure why Jason is having issues with his Chrysler product. Maybe cheeped out and use some GM connectors????
Just kidding Jason, that sure is a sweet rig you have there.

lol, thanks Sheldon!